‘Brilliant Courses BEST art teacher I have ever had in 50 years of different courses” CH Beyond Simply Anglesey April 2018’
Beyond Simply is a four day exploration of intermediate painting skills in four very different and rewarding genres.
Who it’s For
Beyond Simply is a course for painters who have the skills to try out some of the key ways to use paint such as Impressionism or Glazing, making it a natural follow on course to Simply Oils.
How it Works
Beyond Simply is based around four very varied workshop days, each focused on a popular style, genre or approach to using paint such as traditional glazing, classical figure painting, colourful Impressionism or Expressionism.
Where to Do It
As Beyond Simply is one of our core courses it may be taken at the Norfolk Painting School studios in Norfolk or at our studios on Anglesey as you prefer.
Fees and Booking
Course only £495 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 4 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin On Beyond Simply
‘Learning to paint is one thing, but deciding how you should paint? Well that’s quite another. A good place to start is by exploring some of the main ways of using paint, and this course gives you four very different, and very interesting ways into that. It’s a career starter. ‘
- Four days of structured specialist oils tuition, in four different genres of painting, which means you get a range of styles to take home and make your own.
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn four proven styles for painting in oils , so you can use this course as a basis for developing your own style.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- If you’ve never been to us before consider Simply Oils because will give you the global skills you need to fully exploit the styles on offer.
- If you are an experienced painter looking for creative direction, consider our Diploma Course, which will give you in depth help with your technical, aesthetic, creative and stylistic development
Written for with our Simply Oils students in mind, Beyond Simply is intended to give you the skills you need to begin to explore different genres and start to specialise as a painter.
Based over four very different days the course offers:
Day 1: Traditional Glazing. A marine landscape or sky painting using traditional wet over dry glazing. This day will add the use of specialist optical mediums, and a whole new technique (glaze over grisaille) to your skills.
Day 2: Figure Painting: An ebauche figures and portraits day which will expand upon your ebauche skills from Simply Oils, to add traditional three stage modelling. in the classical manner of painters such as Sargent.
Day3: Impressionist Painting: A hugely important and valuable expansion of the colour skills taught on Simply, towards impressionist colour planning and the modelling of Forms using temperature.
Day 4: Contemporary Colour and Mark Making. Lively colour, expressive handling and expressive mark making, these are the things of contemporary painting and the subjects of our final day.