Turner’s Light: Orchestrating optical mediums and colour to create Turneresque Oils
‘ Turner understood the need to create a grand effect, and that the grand effect itself depended upon his mastery of paint.
Who it’s For
This is a very technical and rewarding course for strong painters who wish to try out Turner’s advanced use of media for themselves. To make the best of the course you should be a competent optical painter and have good working skills in glazing and scumbling , as the course will build upon standard 19th century technique. Although the course is based upon early 19th century studio craft it’s delivered with the contemporary painter in mind; an ideal course for contemporary painters looking for a technical edge. .
How it Works
Turner’s Light is based around three workshop days, starting with a quick recap of 19th century optical painting , the course focuses upon Turner’s late technique in depth by creating a full size active study of his famous work Keelmen Heaving in Coals by Moonlight.
Where to Do It
MasterClasses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Fees and Booking
Course only £599 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin’s view of Turner’s Light
‘Turner defines painterly technique, his innovative use of media remains the benchmark for being both skilled and creative, this course isn’t a workshop on copying Turner, but discovering what you can do with paint ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition colour planning and implementation
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful colour strategies from bold and simple to as nuanced as Monet’s later works.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- This course is not suitable If you’ve never studied at the school before.
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the first trimester and expands upon them using practical exercises
MasterClasses are only open to existing students, and by application. Please drop the school a line if you wish to apply for a place.