Welcome to Figures & Portraits
Oils are the traditional medium for figure and portrait painting, so where better to brush up your skills than at the Norfolk Painting School? Our Figures & Portraits is a practical way to get into the genre, featuring traditional and contemporary methods for creating your own masterpieces at home.
Taught in a straight forward, practical way the course teaches you to make studies of famous examples of figure and portrait Art to teach you the skills you need to create your own original work. Starting with traditional portraits based on the techniques of Caravaggio, Rembrandt or Degas, the class moves on to teach you how the later Impressionists used colour and mark making to create life like images. As you’d expect from the Norfolk Painting School, every class is flexed to suit the abilities of your class, so no two courses will be the same.
A typical course will include
- Three days of alla prima and ébauche portraiture, for quick, professional looking results
- An ideal course for Simply or Intensive oils students
- Use your ébauche and direct skills in a new way
- All materials included, plus notes, refreshments and light lunches on the course
- No need for accurate drawing skills – the emphasis is on loose sketching not photo realism
- The skills taught are ideal for other genres such as figure work and life painting
- If you are new to the School you should take Simply or Intensive Skills before this course
Figures & Portraits is a class for existing and improving oil painters intended to follow one of our Simply Oils courses. Although it is possible to learn the techniques taught on the courses without having any drawing skills we strongly recommend that to get the most out of this course you should be able to sketch confidently, rapidly and accurately.