Revised for 2020: Figures and Portraits
Figures & Portraits is our one stop shop for the essential painting skills you need for classical and contemporary figure painting.
Who it’s For
Figures and Portraits is for existing and improving oil painters who want to know how classical figure painters such as Sargent worked, and wish to try out ways of using those skills in a more contemporary way.
How it Works
Starting by teaching you the basic approaches to classical figure painting, this course moves on to show you how some classically trained painters used their skills to become more contemporary . Figures & Portraits is not a figure drawing class, nor do you need classical drawing skills to take part.
Where to Do It
Figures & Portraits is only available at our Norfolk studio.
Fees and Booking
Course only £399 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin On Figures & Portraits
‘Classical painting is actually quite a small part of a traditional Atelier program, which necessarily devotes years to acquiring the skills required for sight size classical drawing and modelling. So I wondered if it would be useful to offer those painting skills to students who don’t necessarily want to commit to a full atelier program, and the result is this course. Does it work? Well, its been in our program by popular demand for three years now, so yes, the demand – is there, because of the results our students achieve.’
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition, which means you get a focused and proven learning experience
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with two studio assistants which means you get help at your easel
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course
- Learn traditional and contemporary systems for figure painting in oils, so you can study the old masters and see how to use this skills in your own creative work.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
Oils are the traditional medium for figure and portrait painting, so where better to brush up your skills than at the Norfolk Painting School? Our Figures & Portraits is a practical way to get into the genre, featuring traditional and contemporary methods for creating your own masterpieces at home.
As a the School is a collegiate and nurturing environment we will always try our best to ensure that our students have a rewarding course experience and for this reason we strongly recommend that you practice the optical depth process taught on Simply Oils so you can focus on the exciting and transformative new ideas on offer rather than mastering foundation processes.
‘Fen was a very good teacher and I can say I have learnt more about painting from my time at your school than in my whole Art education’ Simply Oils student July 2019