‘I learnt more in 3 days on Simply Oils than I did in 3 years at Art School’
By far the most impressive aspect of it all is the efficiency that you run the school with, every detail being well considered.
As far as the course goes, I didn’t know what to expect and I am still really overwhelmed by how much I learnt in such a short space of time. Trying to teach myself how to paint has proven to be an expensive and convoluted exercise and yet in 3 days at the NPS I achieved so much. I feel so much more enthusiastic and inspired.
PSW Simply Oils June 2019
Simply Oils was our first course and remains the best way to learn key oil painting skills quickly and make a big step to improving your ability.
Who it’s For
Simply Oils is a course for artists who paint regularly in watercolours or acrylics, and wish to move to oil. It’s also a fantastic course for self taught oil painters who want to learn the right way.
How it Works
Simply Oils is based around three varied workshop days and will instruct you in everything from making your own gesso and mediums to professional colour mixing skills and our proven ebauche method for painting with oils.
Where to Do It
As Simply Oils is one of our core courses it may be taken at the Norfolk Painting School studios in Norfolk or at our studios on Anglesey as you prefer.
Fees and Booking
Course only £385 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop. £395 for courses after 1st June 2019.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin On Simply Oils
‘Simply was the first course I wrote to teach painting. The content was easy to decide because I simply chose what I wished to heaven that somebody had taught me when I started to take painting more seriously – so even the title of the course wrote itself. Nothing in Simply is wasted information – it’s simply the facts you need to paint well, nothing more – nothing less ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition, which means you get a focused and proven learning experience
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with two studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course
- Learn two proven methods for painting in oils (ébauche and direct), so you can use this course as a basis for developing your own style
- Learn how to make gesso and oil mediums, which are essential skills for any serious further study of oil painting
- Learn our method for professional colour mixing which also works for any other paint medium such as acrylic or watercolour
- refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- If you’ve never painted consider Beginners’ Oils because the pace is slower more methodical and assumes you know nothing
- If you are an experienced painter consider Intensive Skills because we can show you how to transition into or improve your oils without covering all of the basics of painting .
Simply was our first course and remains the core one to take if you’re planning a serious study of painting with us from a background of painting in other medium.
The course is an intensive, practical and structured introduction to the oil medium, these simple aims mean it doesn’t demand conceptual thinking or years of dedication to complete, just three days of hands on painting and focussed tuition.
It’s about essential processes, hands on learning and – above all – making things clear. Over three days you’ll receive straightforward, structured, practical tuition in oils, aimed at getting you painting in oils at home.
Written with experienced leisure painters in mind we focus on delivering a traditional process for oils, which allows students to get fantastic results quickly whilst building a solid base for future improvement.
If you already work in another medium or are untutored in oils you’ll find the course will enable you to learn a more structured way of working; so your creativity can flourish.
We want everybody to be able to enjoy Simply Oils, so you don’t need to bring any materials, just arrive with an open mind, and lots of enthusiasm. Everything you need for and on the course is provided.
What Our Students Think
“I wanted to write to say a huge thank you for the excellent course I attended last week. It was the best and most professional course I have ever attended and I came away thoroughly inspired and rejuvenated, and a little tired from concentration. I now need to practice practice practice. Im changing the lights in my studio too! There was so much sensible and practical advice that I needed as I start to paint in oils rather than acrylic. Fenn was excellent very ably supported by Glynn and Hilary, and Martin spoke such sense about developing as an artist it was all wonderful”
Suzanne S , Simply Oils March 2019.