Eardley and British Realism : Creating powerful oils of people and places
‘ Eardley reinvented the Realist tradition for British Art and paved the way for kitchen sink school artists such as John Bratby.’
Who it’s For
Masterclasses are for experienced oil painters who want to expand, reinvigorate or interrogate their practice alongside Martin Kinnear. To benefit from this course you must paint well in oils and have an active interest in the practical application of the big ideas in modern and contemporary painting.
What it’s about
Deceptively simple, but technically innovative and challenging the Realist works of Joan Eardley are nothing less than a distillation of big ideas from continental artists such as Matisse, Picasso and Rouault alongside a reinvention for the grand tradition of Realist painting from Barbizon to the Hague School, Ashcan and the Scottish Colourists.
How it Works
Eardley and British Realism is based around three workshop days, starting with a quick recap of late 20th century Realist ebauche to direct technique the course explores how paint can create compelling images of time, people and place.
Covering topics as diverse as ambiguous pictorial space, applied colour theory, narrative and expressive gestalt and the creation of structural value in colourist oils the course is both mentally stimulating and technically demanding .
Where to Do It
MasterClasses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Fees and Booking
Course only £599 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin’s view of Eardley and British Realism
‘Joan Eardley was one of the most gifted artists of that gifted generation of Modern British Painters whose great contribution was to assimilate European ideas about art into definitely British painting. Embracing ideas as diverse as Matisse’s compositional use of colour, Picasso’s ideas about pictorial space and temporality and Rouault’s feeling for Expressive pathos, Eardley set the standard for modern British painting in the last century. Over the last decade as my interest in British art has grown I have discovered that all paths lead to and from Eardley. ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition colour planning and implementation
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- This course is not suitable If you’ve never studied at the school before.
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the first second and third trimesters and expands upon them using practical exercises