Kinnear on Contemporary Florals : Choosing and using expressive colour to make contemporary flower paintings
‘ Expressive Colour and bold mark making define contemporary floral painting’.
Who it’s For
Floral paintings are perennially popular and although representational botanical art has its place, bold expressive contemporary florals require artists who are both technically skilled and visually creative. If you love colour or mark making and want to start or improve your florals then this is for you.
How it Works
Kinnear On Contemporary Florals is based around three workshop days, starting with a quick recap of subtractive colour mixing, the course takes you through creating and implementing, a series of creative contemporary florals from bold, simple arrangements on day one through to very nuanced and advanced schemes by day 3.
Where to Do It
Kinnear On courses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Fees and Booking
Course only £499 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin’s view of Kinnear On Colour
‘Anyone can dash of a colourful painting, but most are horribly clumsy. Good contemporary artists are almost invariably insightful colourists, it’s incredibly important these days to be a Colourist, and this course show you the difference between using colour and being on top of it ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition on colour planning, mark making and implementation
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful painting strategies from bold and simple to as nuanced as Joan Mitchell’s later works.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- This course is not suitable for anyone who has not completed Simply Oils.
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the first trimester and expands upon them using practical exercises
Our ‘Kinnear On’ courses are practical signature workshops written and taught by Martin Kinnear. Each course explores a key aspect of painting which can directly improve your work.
Written with our existing students in mind, the course is intended for practicing oil painters who have studied at the school before. Places are strictly limited, so book early to avoid disappointment.
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs.
If you don’t regularly paint in oil then we strongly recommend that you take Simply oils allowing time to practice, before taking these courses.
All Kinnear On courses are an ideal way to top up and focus your Diploma study whether you are currently on a Diploma or require some extra post Diploma training.