Kinnear on Cityscapes: contemporary urban oils
‘ Buildings and cities present unique challenges , and opportunities, for the oil painter. This course is about cutting through visual complexity to capture the look and feel of a place.’
Who it’s For
If detail and simplification is a problem for you then this course on creating powerful images from complex scenes is for you . Written with the practicing painter in mind who has completed our Simply Oils, it’s an ideal course for artists who work en plein air or in the studio on creating atmosphere, simplifying colour, managing values and above all creating a painterly sense of place.
How it Works
Kinnear On Cityscapes is based around three workshop days, starting with a quick recap of ebauche to direct painting, the course takes you through creating and implementing, a series of creative urban paintings , from simple building portraits on day one through to very nuanced and advanced schemes by day 3.
Where to Do It
Kinnear On courses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Fees and Booking
Course only £499 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin’s view of Kinnear On Cityscapes
‘Complex scenes can defeat the best painters if they haven’t learned the tricks of selecting reducing and amplifying what’s important to create a sense of place. creating contemporary urban oils has been at the heart of my practice for years now, and opened the door for me to awards and gallery shows; we have to record our time and place and not simply paint the past. ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition in buildings, urban scenes and reducing visual complexity
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful colour strategies from bold and simple to as nuanced as Monet’s later works.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- This course is not suitable for students who have not studied at the school before.
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the first trimester and expands upon them using practical exercises
Our ‘Kinnear On’ courses are practical signature workshops written and taught by Martin Kinnear. Each course explores a key aspect of painting which can directly improve your work.
Written with our existing students who have completed Simply Oils in mind the course is intended for practicing oil painters. Places are strictly limited, so book early to avoid disappointment.
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs.
If you don’t regularly paint in oil then we strongly recommend that you take Simply oils allowing time to practice, before taking these courses.
All Kinnear On courses are an ideal way to top up and focus your Diploma study whether you are currently on a Diploma or require some extra post Diploma training.