Kinnear on: Luminosity: discover how glazing can make your work glow
Making your work appear luminous is the starting point for getting more depth and light into your painting and should be in every oil painters toolkit
Who it’s For
If you’re a contemporary artist who wants to understand glazing or a traditional painter who needs to improve their indirect painting skills then this course is for you. Kinnear on Luminosity is a practical and technical exploration of glazing methods with Martin, who is a widely recognised and published an expert on the subject.
How it Works
Kinnear On Luminosity is based around four workshop days, starting with a study to teach you core optical painting skills , the course takes you through the methods you’ll need to create both tonal and chromatic glazes and scumbles for your own original oils.
Where to Do It
Kinnear On courses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Fees and Booking
Course only £545 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 4 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Important Pre booking note:
This is a second tier course written to build upon the core skills taught on our Simply Oils workshops.
Simply Oils is our flagship course in professional core oil painting skills including the Ebauche painting method, Subtractive colour mixing, oil mediums, grounds and gesso, values, optics and direct painting. This course will not cover core skills but build upon those concepts and assume a good working knowledge of them.
To ensure you have a rewarding, motivating and enjoyable learning experience please undertake a Simply Oils course before undertaking this second tier course.
Martin’s view of Kinnear On Luminosity
‘Great technique never goes out of fashion, which is why many of the top contemporary artists make a point of referencing the Old Masters, and why glazing courses remain amongst our most requested subjects at the School. Yes, you can get by without it – but you won’t go as far as you could.’
- Four days of structured specialist oils tuition on optical painting techniques yo can use the minute you get home.
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn the principles of optical glazing, stumbling, and how to make all of the mediums you require to do it at home.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- If you’ve never been to us before consider Simply Oils followed by Beyond Simply before attempting this course, as you will benefit from having some understanding to basic indirect painting
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the first trimester and expands upon them using practical exercises
This workshop explores how to use optics and glazes to create luminosity and optical depth in your oils.
The most striking example is to walk from a room of Old Master paintings into an Impressionist display,’ says Martin Kinnear on how painting fashion made paintings appear increasingly flat. ‘The Impressionists preferred vibrant colours over luminous depth, but remember that they had that technical choice,’ he adds, ‘and that’s why every contemporary oil painter should know how it’s done.’
Written with our existing students in mind, the course is intended for practicing oil painters. Places are strictly limited, so book early to avoid disappointment.
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs or new students who are regularly painting well in oils.
If you don’t paint in oil then we strongly recommend that you take Simply oils or Intensive Skills and allocate time to practice with oils, before taking these courses.