Kinnear On : Composition create stronger paintings with dynamic compositional plans.
Composition is the art of answering the question of what goes where and why. Getting this right is the essential skill in any abstracted painting, and crucial for creating impactful figurative works., .
Who it’s For
Visual art is always visual design, so every visual artist must also be skilled at compositional placement, This course is suitable for painters working in any genre, irrespective of whether their work is representational or abstract. As the course is about composition, rather than handling materials, it is essential that you already paint well in a technical sense before undertaking this workshop.
How it Works
Kinnear On Composition is based around three workshop days of practical tuition in classic compositional and visual design planning. Embracing subjects such as divine proportion, baroque eye paths and the role of cropping in impressionist art the course will provide you with useful compositional fixes, as well as insights into developing your own unique compositional style.
Where to Do It
Kinnear On courses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Good to Know
This Course is part of a special 2020 series by Martin of one off workshops on the key skills and approaches in painting. Consider combining it with others in this series to crate your own advanced study program
Fees and Booking
Course only £499 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Important Pre booking note:
This is a third tier course written to build upon the core skills taught on our Simply Oils workshops.
Simply Oils is our flagship course in professional core oil painting skills including the Ebauche painting method, Subtractive colour mixing, oil mediums, grounds and gesso, values, optics and direct painting. This course will not cover core skills but build upon those concepts and assume a good working knowledge of them.
To ensure you have a rewarding, motivating and enjoyable learning experience please undertake a Simply Oils course before undertaking this third tier course.
Martin’s view of Kinnear On Composition
‘If you’ve ever tried, and failed, to paint your way out of a badly conceived painting you’ll know that visual art is always visual design; get it right and paintings will paint themselves. ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition with a strong emphasis on compositional plans
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get advice at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful bolt-ons to basic tonal painting each day such as stronger value plans, better optics or more impactful colour strategies.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- This course is not suitable for students who have not done Simply Oils.
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the third trimester on style building and expands upon them
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs such as Simply Oils, Beyond Simply , Colourful Impressionism etc.
All Kinnear On courses are an ideal way to top up and focus your Diploma study whether you are currently on a Diploma or require some extra post Diploma training.