Kinnear On : Drama: exploit unexpected colour and strong chiaruscuro in your work to create visual impact
All good paintings have drama, and the best way to create it is to use Value and colour unexpectedly, creatively and innovatively .
Who it’s For
Delivered with the practising artist in mind Kinnear on Drama is about giving your work that special, unexpected something using colour and value contrasts as part of your painting.
How it Works
Kinnear On Drama is based around three workshop days of practical tuition in value, colour and design plans which can be applied to paintings of any genre. Over the course we will apply classic chiaroscuro, use exciting and unexpected colour and consider how these can be woven into otherwise ordinary subjects.
Where to Do It
Kinnear On courses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Good to Know
This Course is part of a special 2020 series by Martin of one off workshops on the key skills and approaches in painting. Consider combining it with others in this series to crate your own advanced study program
Fees and Booking
Course only £499 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Important Pre booking note:
This is a third tier course written to build upon the core skills taught on our Simply Oils workshops.
Simply Oils is our flagship course in professional core oil painting skills including the Ebauche painting method, Subtractive colour mixing, oil mediums, grounds and gesso, values, optics and direct painting. This course will not cover core skills but build upon those concepts and assume a good working knowledge of them.
To ensure you have a rewarding, motivating and enjoyable learning experience please undertake a Simply Oils course before undertaking this third tier course.
Martin’s view of Kinnear On Drama
‘Good painters depict ordinary things in an extraordinary way, and there’s no better way of doing that than following the examples of the masters by using unexpected, exciting colour and accentuated, dramatic values. ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition with a strong emphasis on creating visual drama
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get advice at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful bolt-ons to basic tonal painting each day such as stronger value plans, better optics or more impactful colour strategies.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- This course is not suitable for students who have not yet done Simply Oils
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the third trimester on style building and expands upon them
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs such as Simply Oils, Beyond Simply , Colourful Impressionism etc.
All Kinnear On courses are an ideal way to top up and focus your Diploma study whether you are currently on a Diploma or require some extra post Diploma training.
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs or new students who are regularly painting well in oils.
If you don’t paint in oil then we strongly recommend that you take Simply oils and allocate time to practice with oils, before taking these courses.