Kinnear On : Landscapes: discover the secrets of classic British landscape painting
Tonal landscape painting done directly, is both an art and a craft. On this course Martin shows you the method so you can recreate the style in this studio based course.
Who it’s For
If you admire the look of classic landscape painting and want to master the method for it then this course is for you. Delivered with competent practicing painters in mind Kinnear On Landscape is a workshop in focussing and honing your skills in this very popular and commercially successful genre.
How it Works
Kinnear On Landscapes is based around three workshop days of practical tuition in classic landscape painting skills. After teaching you the basic process each day will expand upon it to include aspects which make stronger tonal landscapes such as value, colour, composition and optics. At the end of the course you will have a practical method to master at home.
Where to Do It
Kinnear On courses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Good to Know
This Course is one of two genre specific courses written by Martin for 2020, consider combining it with a supplementary course on glazing if you love traditional work, or a dedicated course on colour if you’re a contemporary artist.
Fees and Booking
Course only £499 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Important Pre booking note:
This is a third tier course written to build upon the core skills taught on our Simply Oils workshops.
Simply Oils is our flagship course in professional core oil painting skills including the Ebauche painting method, Subtractive colour mixing, oil mediums, grounds and gesso, values, optics and direct painting. This course will not cover core skills but build upon those concepts and assume a good working knowledge of them.
To ensure you have a rewarding, motivating and enjoyable learning experience please undertake a Simply Oils course before undertaking this third tier course.
Martin’s view of Kinnear On Landscapes
‘Getting ahead is easier if you work in a sight after style, and no style is more ubiquitous than this one. Go to any gallery, anywhere in the UK and you’ll see examples of good tonal painting. It’s a must have skill set for commercial artists ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition on tonal painting with a strong emphasis on landscape
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get advice at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful bolt-ons to basic tonal painting each day such as stronger value plans, better optics or more impactful colour strategies.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- If you’ve never been to us before consider Simply Oils before attempting this course, as you must have core ebauche skills before starting this workshop
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the third trimester on style building and expands upon them
This “one-off” workshop explores how to master the tonal painting system. Landscape painting is quintessentially British,’ says Martin Kinnear discussing the works of painters he admires such as Edward Seago, Fred Cuming, Neil Pinkett and Arnesby Brown. ‘They do so much with such limited means- the light here is weak, the colours are muted, but the effects they achieve through tonal painting can be wonderful.’
This ‘one-off’ workshop explores the skills of classic British style landscape painters and the use of strong composition, restricted palette and tonality to create light and atmosphere using direct painting. Suitable for both studio and plein air painters the course is ideal for artists who want to learn hoe to get that classic tonal look to their work.
Written with our existing students in mind, the course is intended for practicing oil painters. Places are strictly limited, so book early to avoid disappointment.
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs or new students who are regularly painting well in oils.
If you don’t paint in oil then we strongly recommend that you take Simply oils and allocate time to practice with oils, before taking these courses.