Kinnear On : Visual Impact Paint smart, paint strong
Good painting is strong painting, and strong painting requires artists to understand how to create and use value and colour contrasts well
Who it’s For
If you find yourself making good but not great paintings then this course is about giving your work that extra something. Kinnear on Visual Impact is a course about pushing and fine tuning your work to give you that professional edge. To take part you’ll need to be working well in paint, and have examples of you work to bring to the workshop.
How it Works
Kinnear On Visual Impact is based around four workshop days of practical hands on ways of improving the work you bring to the class. Each day focuses upon a key aspect of stronger painting, such as colour plans, optics, value or edges, and then gives you an opportunity to apply those to your work under our direction. .
Where to Do It
Kinnear On courses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Important Pre booking note:
This is a second tier course written to build upon the core skills taught on our Simply Oils workshops.
Simply Oils is our flagship course in professional core oil painting skills including the Ebauche painting method, Subtractive colour mixing, oil mediums, grounds and gesso, values, optics and direct painting. This course will not cover core skills but build upon those concepts and assume a good working knowledge of them.
To ensure you have a rewarding, motivating and enjoyable learning experience please undertake a Simply Oils course before undertaking this second tier course.
Fees and Booking
Course only £545 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 4 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin’s view of Kinnear On visual Impact
‘Self critique is difficult, its maddening when we now a painting is not without merit, but nor ‘right’ either. Luckily, there are several piratical things that will improve almost any paint, almost all of the time- and this course is about understanding and implementing those steps. ‘
- Four days of structured specialist oils tuition on critiquing and improving works you bring to the class
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get advice at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful self critique and improving strategies to use in any genre of painting
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- If you’ve never been to us before consider Simply Oils before attempting this course, as you must have a body of decent work to take part in the workshop
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the critique days and reinforces them using practical exercises
This “one-off” workshop explores how to make your paintings stronger by making better decisions about colour, value, optics and composition.
Written with our existing students in mind, the course is intended for practicing oil painters. Places are strictly limited, so book early to avoid disappointment.
Kinnear On courses are non-selective, however they are written to suit students who have completed courses from our foundation or intermediate programs or new students who are regularly painting well in oils.
If you don’t paint in oil then we strongly recommend that you take Simply oils or Intensive Skills and allocate time to practice with oils, before taking these courses.
All Kinnear On courses are an ideal way to top up and focus your Diploma study whether you are currently on a Diploma or require some extra post Diploma training.