‘I learnt more in 3 days on Simply Oils than I did in 3 years at Art School’
Simply Oils was our first course and remains the best way to learn key oil painting skills quickly and make a big step to improving your ability.
Who it’s For
Simply Oils is a course for artists who paint regularly in watercolours or acrylics, and wish to move to oil. It’s also a fantastic course for self taught oil painters who want to learn the right way.
How it Works
Simply Oils is based around three varied workshop days and will instruct you in everything from making your own gesso and mediums to professional colour mixing skills and our proven ebauche method for painting with oils.
Where to Do It
As Simply Oils is one of our core courses it may be taken at the Norfolk Painting School studios in Norfolk or at our studios on Anglesey as you prefer.
Fees and Booking
Course only £385 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin On Simply Oils
‘Simply was the first course I wrote to teach painting. The content was easy to decide because I simply chose what I wished to heaven that somebody had taught me when I started to take painting more seriously – so even the title of the course wrote itself. Nothing in Simply is wasted information – it’s simply the facts you need to paint well, nothing more – nothing less ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition, which means you get a focused and proven learning experience
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with two studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course
- Learn two proven methods for painting in oils (ébauche and direct), so you can use this course as a basis for developing your own style
- Learn how to make gesso and oil mediums, which are essential skills for any serious further study of oil painting
- Learn our method for professional colour mixing which also works for any other paint medium such as acrylic or watercolour
- refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- If you’ve never painted consider Beginners’ Oils because the pace is slower more methodical and assumes you know nothing
- If you are an experienced painter consider Intensive Skills because we can show you how to transition into or improve your oils without covering all of the basics of painting .
Simply was our first course and remains the core one to take if you’re planning a serious study of painting with us from a background of painting in other medium.
The course is an intensive, practical and structured introduction to the oil medium, these simple aims mean it doesn’t demand conceptual thinking or years of dedication to complete, just three days of hands on painting and focussed tuition.
It’s about essential processes, hands on learning and – above all – making things clear. Over three days you’ll receive straightforward, structured, practical tuition in oils, aimed at getting you painting in oils at home.
Written with experienced leisure painters in mind we focus on delivering a traditional process for oils, which allows students to get fantastic results quickly whilst building a solid base for future improvement.
If you already work in another medium or are untutored in oils you’ll find the course will enable you to learn a more structured way of working; so your creativity can flourish.
We want everybody to be able to enjoy Simply Oils, so you don’t need to bring any materials, just arrive with an open mind, and lots of enthusiasm. Everything you need for and on the course is provided.
What Our Students Think
“What a lovely course I enjoyed every minute, I thought the team were fantastic and Fen was delightful and such a good teacher. I will certainly be looking to taking the next step along the painting in oils course which I think is the Beyond Simply,” WS Simply Oils May 2018
‘An excellent course; demanding but rewarding. clear demos enabling a very clear understanding of principles’ VG Simply Oils Anglesey May 2018